The Proposed Improvements
It is managed by the MTO, and connects Southern Ontario to Central Ontario, Northern Ontario, and Western Canada via Highway 69 and Highway 11. This Class Environmental Assessment study includes the Preliminary Design and the initiation of Detail Design for the replacement of the Highway 400 bridges over the North Canal of the Holland Marsh in the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, County of Simcoe.
Subject to the outcome of the study, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is proposing the following improvements:
- Replacement of the Highway 400 North Canal Bridges
- Realignment of the North Canal within the MTO right-of-way
- Rehabilitation, replacement, or removal of the Holland (Schomberg) River Culvert
- Minor realignment of Wist Road, Davis Road, and Canal Road to accommodate the new bridges
- Closure of the Highway 400 Canal Road Ramps prior to construction
This project does not include expansion of the existing highway. Three lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on Highway 400 during construction. All of the proposed improvements will be compatible with both the interim 8-laning and future 10-laning of Highway 400 that were approved as part of the original Preliminary Design Study.