The Proposed Improvements
It is managed by the MTO, and connects Southern Ontario to Central Ontario, Northern Ontario, and Western Canada via Highway 69 and Highway 11. This Class Environmental Assessment includes the detail design for the replacement of the Highway 400 bridges over the North Canal of the Holland Marsh in the Town of Bradford West Gwillimbury, County of Simcoe.
Subject to the outcome of the study, the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (MTO) is proposing the following improvements:
- replacement of the Highway 400 North Canal Bridges
- widen embankments and realign Highway 400 to accommodate staging. Three lanes of traffic are to be maintained in each direction at all times during construction
- realignment of the North Canal within the MTO right‑of‑way
- install a steel liner at the Holland (Schomberg) River Culvert
- realignment of Wist Road, Davis Road, and Canal Road
- closure of the Highway 400 Canal Road Ramps prior to construction
This project does not include expansion of the existing highway. Three lanes of traffic will be maintained in each direction on Highway 400 during construction. All of the proposed improvements will be compatible with both the interim 8‑laning and future 10‑laning of Highway 400 that were approved as part of the original Preliminary Design Study.